Friday, October 3, 2014

Meier-"Why Can't She Remeber That?"

The article, "Why Can't She Remember That?" by Meier connects to the beginning of the TED talk, "The Danger Of A Single Story" by Chimamanda Adichie. (The following is the link for the TED talk) https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story?language=en. They connect because in the article, as well as in the TED talk, Meir and Chimamanda discuss how important it is to be able to relate to a story. Chimamanda would always read stories as an African American little girl and the stories would never be relatable. The stories would be of little white girls with blonde pony tails who drank ginger beer and talked about the weather. Meanwhile, where Chimamanda was from, the little girls were black with curly black hair that was hard to fit into pony tails and they did not know what ginger beer was and did not find it important to talk about the weather. So because Chimamanda could not relate to the books she was not able to grow, use her imagination, communicate, and learn life lessons through the books. Maybe if the books had characters that fit Chimamanda she would have been able to connect and learn through the stories. Meier addresses the same problem. She discusses how books can be a great lesson and teaching tool but only if they can be applied. The first, most important rule about teaching using books is making sure the characters are connectable to the students. When the students feel like they are a character in the book they become engaged. Books are a great resource to teach children about life including topics on; relationships, adventure, education, decisions. Ultimately, it all starts with the student being able to relate and connect with the book and characters. Then they will be comfortable, trustworthy, and engaged.
This is a picture of Chimamanda Adichie.
I would like to bring up in class how Adichie's point of view connects with our class.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you, books are a great tool to teach children these valuable life lessons. Even as an adult, I find I retain more and learn more from books I can relate to or find interesting, so why should anyone expect something different from children? I think as a teacher, they need to evaluate their class and find books that their students can relate to or can be applied to everyday life. By finding a book the students can connect with, the teacher is opening a whole new window of opportunities for the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy!!! OMG what a perfect, perfect I mean perfect video. How moving is she? I mean I was like ready to cry over here. I am definitely saving this video for life I think It is one of the best ones yet. I t really made me think and honestly I felt ashamed because I definitely don't know much more about Africa other than what the media has portrayed....the AIDS epidemic, the hungry children -_-. Awful, I really hope this gets played in class! Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  3. good choice of video betsy! and like what said about books

    ReplyDelete
  4. This video is awesome. I think if we related other methods of learning to a closer relation to the child we would have better successes with testing. When a formula or story is not cohesive to the reader in any way how could it hold any significance

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great video. It connected so well with the readings. I have to agree with Tanya in that my view of Africa was very much skewed by what is featured in the news and in books. Unfortunately, I think I would have been like her roommate and been surprised that she listened to music that I had heard of. Thanks for sharing the video :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this video because it made me as a listener think of my own experience and knowledge. When you hear something once that sticks with you, it is hard to get away from that. This speaker really got across the point that we are never done learning. There is always something new to learn, there is always a new side of the story, and there is always a different story teller. It is so important to keep a drive to learn forever, and never let yourself be closed off after one story.

    ReplyDelete